23 August 2009

Beverly Johnson: 35 Years After Her Historic Vogue Cover

Beverly Johnson: 35 Years After Her Historic Vogue Cover

Shared via AddThis

When Beverly Johnson landed the cover of American Vogue in August 1974, she hardly understood the social significance of the moment. At 22 years old, Johnson was the first woman of color to grace the cover of the women's fashion mag. She soon realized how important that cover was -- and not just for her modeling career. The black beauty had not only been acknowledged in the mainstream, but celebrated. She continued her successful modeling career, appearing on the covers of more than 500 magazines. Post-modeling, Johnson sells a popular line of wigs and hair extensions and has explored several areas in the entertainment industry, from singing to acting. She's now a judge on TV Land's, 'She's Got the Look' and 'America's Next Top Model' for women 35 and older.

In honor of the 35th anniversary of her historic cover, Johnson spoke to Black Voices about what the accomplishment means to her now and what it meant to her back then, her daughter's plus-size modeling career and her hit reality show.
With all the talk about diversity in the modeling and fashion world and last year's historic all-black issue of Vogue Italia, do you think your 1974 Vogue cover takes on new meaning?

Yes. It's an interesting journey because, for myself, each year it becomes more significant, particularly this year. I would imagine a lot of it has to do with the election of the first African American president and Michelle Obama as a fashion icon, but it seems that the cover means more today than it did in 1974.

What did it mean to you then when you realized back in 1974 that you were going to be the first black woman on the cover of American Vogue?

As a fashion model, it was really exciting. I mean, I was thrilled! It is most certainly a highlight of my life. My daughter and that Vogue cover really defined who I am. And also, I embarked on this journey of self-discovery from that cover, because after finding out that I was the first woman of color to be on that cover, it angered me. I really wanted to take on that kind of responsibility. That cover meant so much to so many people, and I really felt responsible. I felt also that I really wanted to know about my heritage -- who I was, where I came from and where I was going.

So having your face on the cover was not just an eye-opening experience for Vogue's readers, it was one for you, too?

How I knew about the impact was around the globe people were trying to interview me -- from Africa from Sweden to all parts of the world -- about what that cover meant, that finally America is recognizing black beauty in the mainstream. I was just at the right place at the right time. I spoke to a number of black leaders because my journey took me there -- Shirley Chisholm, Jesse Jackson. They explained to me about Jackie Robinson and what he did in the baseball league, and what I did in the world of fashion. It has been quite a journey.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Confident, dependable, versatile management professional with extensive diverse experiences enhanced by graduate-level studies. Global perspective based upon military assignments, experience and travel abroad. Articulate sagacious problem solver with superior analytical and communication skills. Organized, meticulous, and methodical: particularly adept at problem identification, research, analysis and resolution. An innate ability to develop loyal and cohesive staffs dedicated to the task at hand. Well versed in information system implementation methodologies.

Google Search Engine